Fall Family Scavenger Hunt | November 27–29, 2020
Join us for the Fall Family Scavenger Hunt! Now celebrating its 5th year, this adventurous Black Friday tradition will feature contact-free activities and, to promote physical distancing and mark its anniversary, will be open all weekend long.
As always, the activities are geared toward children—but everyone is invited to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of nature along any of three self-guided routes. Reduce stress, lower blood pressure, improve mood, and boost creativity as you mindfully experience Hale’s ponds, forests, and meadows with all of your senses. This free public event is made possible by Needham Bank, WBUR, Dedham Savings, Roche Bros., and Prime Automotive Group.
This is a self-guided, unstaffed event. Please note:
- Hale is open daily from 8 AM until 4:30 PM. Depending on your route and pace, this year’s Scavenger Hunt will take between 1 and 3 hours to complete. Monitor your progress to ensure enough time remains to return to your vehicle and exit the property before the gate closes.
- Hale’s Daily Parking Fee is waived from Nov. 26–29 to celebrate Thanksgiving. We appreciate your support this year!
- Parking for this event is at Powissett Lodge, which can be accessed via Hale’s main entrance at 80 Carby Street, Westwood. Overflow parking is available at Noanet Landing.
- All routes begin at Powissett Parking Lot. The easy route is roughly 1.5 miles and takes about an hour to complete. The medium route is roughly 2.5 miles and takes about 2 hours to complete. The hard route is roughly 3 miles, includes 200 feet of elevation gain, and takes about 3 hours to complete.
- Participation generally peaks between 11 AM and 2 PM, so consider visiting during the morning or afternoon to prevent crowds.
- For health and safety, masks are required, restrooms are closed, and hand sanitizer is strongly recommended. Your participation indicates agreement with Hale’s Visitor Guidelines and COVID-19 Policy.
- For personal comfort and well-being, remember to bring water and snacks, and wear weather-appropriate layers and footwear.
- Smartphones will be necessary to scan activity QR codes and consult Trailforks as you navigate your route. We’ll post a large map at the starting point but physical maps will not be available, so be sure to preview your route online and take a photo of the posted map before you begin.
When you begin the Fall Family Scavenger Hunt, you’ll have an opportunity to enter a drawing: You could win a two-week session of Hale Day Camp (Kindercamp, Lower Camp, Middle Camp, or Upper Camp) in 2021 valued at $1,325.
In order to disperse foot traffic, please register for whichever day you plan to complete the Scavenger Hunt. Since there are no physical prizes there’s no need to worry about being among the first to participate.